Friday, March 19, 2021

Re: Beeple

This post originated as an email to my friend Maura Hogan, in response to her email asking my thoughts concerning the Beeple affair. Maura currently serves as the arts critic for the Charleston Post and Courier newspaper.

I'll start by reiterating my general theory of art, which is that all man-made objects are works of art. We currently live in a culture that privileges "art world" objects as the only "art," but this is an anomaly of history. Before the nineteenth century, there was no separate category for "art." "Art" comes from the Latin ars, meaning "skill," and even great masters like Michelangelo and Raphael were considered skilled craftsmen whom you would not have allowed your daughters to marry. The vast preponderance of all artifacts created over the course of human history were created by craftsmen, usually working in large workshops. The twenty-first century equivalent of premodern painting is not modern painting (or "contemporary art" in general) but film and television. The twenty-first century equivalent of a Renaissance altarpiece, for example, is the video screen behind the musicians at a rock concert. The twenty-first century equivalent of a Neoclassical history painting by Jacques-Louis David is not an NFT but a cable news broadcast, a documentary, or even a feature film. The art history textbook of the future will end with painting sometime around 1970 and double back to pick up the history of film and television. It is simply impossible to give a credible history of the visual arts in the twentieth century without acknowledging the significance of The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Jaws, etc. 

Beeple's work, and the sale of it, should be regarded within the narrow context of the "contemporary art world." I've seen a few of his images, but I haven't observed them very closely or given them a lot of thought. From a historical perspective, they do not appear to be having any kind of meaningful impact on the culture at large, nowhere near as impactful, for instance, as Donald Trump's performance art and the media outlets that aid and abet him. Beeple is working within the narrative of contemporary art, exploiting the art-world apparatus of trading certain types of artifacts as commodities. Another recent example of this is “Comedian” by Maurizio Cattelan (the banana taped to the wall). Cattelan knew that there was a certain cohort that would gladly play into his cynical ploy, and he made some money off of it. More power to him. The art world can do whatever it wants, of course, but it is high time we stopped considering "contemporary art" as the only example of what art is.  

So, I agree with your comment that "the whole enterprise [is] an exercise in cynicism, vis a vis commodification, bidding wars, pandemic vagaries." I'll push back a little on your statement that "it is shining so much light on the art world and inspiring such raging debate that makes art relevant in uneasy times" and that you "welcome any art in Charleston that does a smashy-smashy to the increasingly problematic 'moonlight and magnolias' connotations of Charleston arts." I definitely agree that the whole "moonlight and magnolias" theme has to go. But, as you also note, Beeple's work appears to have very little to do with Charleston. And, again, whenever anybody uses the term "art," I have to ask, "What is art?" As far as I'm concerned, the most prominent artist from Charleston today is Stephen Colbert, whose work is much more relevant and has a much greater impact than Beeple's "art."

Portions of this post have been redacted at Maura's request, for privacy concerns.




17 comments:

  1. As always, I love your mind, Ned Hartley! :-) I wish I could see Maura's original email--and I hope she's going to write her thoughts about Beeple in the paper (perhaps that's why she contacted you? Various opinions will appear along with hers?). I saw the big news story, that his work sold for $69 million when not too long ago, the most he could get was $100. And I love how he said, "That's what YOU say it's worth," or something to that effect. I much prefer my kids' drawings and the cover of Sgt. Pepper. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kieran ,An opinion piece will run tomorrow about it. I contacted Ned to bounce around ideas, as I formulated my opinion. He was in lightning as always!

      Delete
    2. Enlightening (thanks Siri)

      Delete
    3. Wow, Maura, that's great. Looking forward to reading it. You've been doing a fantastic job at the P&C!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reading, Kieran! Sgt. Pepper is one of the most important images of the twentieth century, and it's not in any survey art history textbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned, that's a travesty!!! Have you thought of doing a podcast?

      Delete
    2. You're a born performer and teacher. I think you would be such a great podcaster!!! Think about it!!!

      Delete
  3. Much food for thought, as slways, and I did use Cattelan’s banana as a foil in the piece! More is coming out about the Beeple sale daily. That being said, I do think it is engaging more people in your central question, “what is art?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read today's paper yet (thanks to early but long brunch at Seabrook), but I just Googled and there is a new Maura piece on Beeple! Can't wait to read!!

      Delete
  4. Ned, Jack contacted Brian Rutenberg in NYC (C of C 1987--did you know him?), who has kindly agreed to talk to him tomorrow about his life as an artist and what he knows about the arts management field. He's in big galleries around the country. I'm so excited for Jack! He's turning away from his decent LSAT score and law school apps and saying now, "You know what? I don't want to do that. I want to follow my heart into the arts somewhere."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian was not a close friend, but we knew each other by name. He was the star of the studio department back then, and has rightfully made a living in the New York "art" world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'll let you know how it goes with Jack's chat.

      Delete
  6. Ned, beautifully written, as always. I miss your brain and your voice and your companionship so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading, Devon. Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete