Monday, December 27, 2021

Bicentennial tour

This post originated as a series of postcards to my nieces.

In the summers of 1975 and 1976, my mom and her then boyfriend, Phil Porter, took my brothers and me on a couple of road trips, first to St. Augustine, Cape Canaveral, and Disney World, then on a two-week bicentennial tour of the Northeast. In August of 2020, I sent my nieces a picture of their father (my brother, Charlie, who died of cancer in 2013) and me feeding pigeons in a park in St. Augustine. I told them about that road trip, about how we'd stayed at campgrounds, and I sent them on a scavenger hunt to find a particularly memorable photograph of Charlie in our tent, which they found! I told them that the next year we went on the bicentennial tour, but that that was another story.

At that point I didn't have a plan as to how I would tell them that story. Then, earlier this month, I was hunting for vintage postcards for a potential future project when I found a postcard depicting "The Little Church Around the Corner" in Manhattan, which I'd always remembered from that trip. After a couple of days, my brain told me that I should send this postcard to the girls, and then it occurred to me that I could relate to them the story of the road trip through a series of postcards. What follows are the texts I wrote on each of these cards, verbatim, which I mailed to them at roughly three-day intervals from December 4 to December 27.

The Little Church Around the Corner

"On our bicentennial tour of the Northeast, we took a bus tour of Manhattan, where the tour guide pointed out to us 'The Little Church Around the Corner'. I've never forgotten it! I found this vintage postcard at a flea market recently. Ask Uncle John if he remembers it next time you see him. Love, Uncle Ned"

Colonial Williamsburg

"Our first stop on the bicentennial tour was Colonial Williamsburg. This was the first time I heard the term 'book', as in 'to leave'. We were chatting up some girls from Boston. At one point Mr. Porter walked down to where we were, to say it was time to come back to the tent. The girls said they needed to book as well. We told Mr. Porter we'd be there anon. When we didn't return anon, he came back to get us in his car, screeching to a halt and yelling, 'Now!' Before that, we had thought he was soft."


Washington, D.C.

"Our next stop was D.C., where we stayed with some friends of Mr. Porter's, in Maryland, I think, possibly Northern Virginia. One of the boys in the family who was about my age taught me how to spit properly. We went to the White House, the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, but my favorite was the Smithsonian, especially the Air and Space Museum (not pictured)."

Philadelphia

"I honestly don't remember much about Philly. Independence Hall. Liberty Bell. We stayed in a hotel there. We had also booked a hotel for two nights in New York City, but it was out by one of the airports, so Mom + Mr. Porter canceled that one and booked two nights in Manhattan, at the Times Square Hotel."


New York City

"You have to understand, Times Square in the '70s was a seedy, dangerous place. If I had known what they were, I would have seen prostitutes. Craning my neck to look up at the skyscrapers, I got turned around and walked backwards into a cop, who bopped me on the back of the head and told me to watch where I was going. Mom thanked him. Our last night there, a woman jumped to her death from our hotel, which seemed apt."


Niagara Falls

"Mr. Porter's parents lived in Buffalo, so we went there instead of going on to Boston. When we got there, his mother showed us where our bedrooms and bathroom were, telling us we could 'wash up' if we wished. So I took a shower! Right then! I thought that's what she wanted us to do. I don't think we were dirty, I think she was just being hospitable, and I took her literally. I was twelve. We went to Niagara Falls the next day."


Gettysburg

"We came home through Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry and Monticello. Of course, we listened to the radio in the car the entire trip. It was a great summer for music: Shower the People, 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Magic Man, Silly Love Songs, Oh, What a Night, Crazy on You, You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, Kiss and Say Goodbye, and many more. Love, Uncle Ned"


6 comments:

  1. Nice, Ned! Thanks for sharing! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ned, you've always been such a wonderful writer. As I was reading your post I immediately remembered that I have two or three letters that you wrote me while I was working at camp St. Christopher during the summer of, I'm guessing, 1983. I found them several years ago and was going to scan a copy of them to you but time got in my way. I will try again! I'll let you know when I find them. Well done, sir!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been lucky enough to receive a Ned postcard, so I can imagine the delight of these girls when each of these postcards arrived! I love this method of storytelling! Ned, you're always so clever and yet there is also a simple sincerity in your writing that draws me in. Happy 2022!! Sending much love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful, thoughtful comment, Kieran. You've always been very supportive of my writing, and I really appreciate it.

      Delete